Saturday, January 31, 2009

Village People and Simon & Garfunkel

(This is Chris) We have done quite a bit in the last few days. Wednesday, we gave the girls brand new baby dolls. Vanesa immediately named hers Sofia. Yesterday, Manuela’s baby was given the name Jennifer. Angee hasn’t decided on a name yet. Vanesa really loves her little baby. She very carefully wrapps it up, gives it a bottle and rocks it. Every night she makes sure that baby Sofia gets a kiss from Mom & Dad.
Yesterday (Friday), we went to a botanical garden and a butterfly house. It was really nice to be able to see so many native plants. The plants here look like ones that keep as house plants, but they are 200 times larger. For instance, the ferns are as tall as trees and they actually have a little bit of a trunk. One of the varieties of orchids is very tall – about 10 feet, but the blooms are the same size.
The butterfly house was a big hit with the girls. There were so many butterflies to look at and get close to. Some of them were really big too (not all of them are native to Colombia). Vanesa kept trying to get one on her finger, but she was kind of scared when they started to crawl up on her finger. Manu was really upset when one landed her hat.
For lunch, Jose took us to a restaurant in a small village (hence the title of this post). The plates of food were huge. After lunch, we got to walk around and do some shopping. It was interesting to poke our heads into so many small stores. We picked up some souvenirs while we were there (I’ve been very disappointed that things cost just as much here as they do in the states.) We also went to the top of the mountain to see the city from above. What a gorgeous view – I wish everyone had the opportunity to see it. This was also the first time I had to pay to use the restroom. While in there with Manu and Angee, a guy outside was playing a panpipe with recorded instrumental accompaniment. He played “The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel. The girls laughed so hard when I started to sing and dance to it.
Today we just hung around town. We went to the store this morning to buy a few things. We found out that swim diapers are definitely not the same as ones made for night time!!! We also picked up a couple more pieces of clothing for the girls and notebooks and coloring books. Boy do these girls love to color – I can’t believe how much paper and coloring pages we have gone through. We managed to sneak some more treats for Paul & I into the cart too. (The chocolate is not nearly as good here as in the states.)
This afternoon we went out again, this time to the mall so the girls could play in the play area. There are no parks here that have swings or slides or anything. They did really well. They came right out when we told them it was time to leave. We also picked up some ponytail holders (I haven’t been able to find them at any of the grocery stores, the drug store or the store that is similar to Wal-Mart).
I think we have figured out an even faster system for getting the girls to bed. The last 2 nights I have started showers with all 3 of them in the bathroom at the same time. When I’m almost finished with one, I ask the next one to start getting ready. While they climb in the tub, I run the first one out to Paul for lotion and p.j.’s. It’s worked pretty well, so I think we’ll stick with it. I really, really enjoy bath time with the girls. I get time with each of them individually and they love being in there. They are really good at helping me with their hair and washing everything else as I dispense soap to them (soap pumps are wonderful!) Vanesa asks me to wash her hair and brush it and she likes for me to do the lotion too. I’m so thankful for this because I would hate to miss it with one of my children. Angee and Mauela love to play with the rubber duck that we brought for them. They carefully wash it while I’m taking care of their hair and stuff.
Tomorrow we are touring the city with Jose. I’m looking forward to seeing more of this place.
More stuff I don’t want to forget:
The first night with the girls, Vanesa was sleeping with half her body off the bed. I put her back in bed, but, she still sleeps right on the edge and I’m always afraid she’ll fall out.
Insecto – the word Paul made up for insects the other night. We learned a couple of days ago that that is actually how you say it in Spanish ~ good job Paul!!! (If in doubt, add an “O.” This is Paul’s motto.)
Angee has asked to go to bed the last 2 nights – wooohoooo, no fits at bedtime! She wakes up once or twice in the night and calls out for mommy. I loved it at first, but now I rub her tummy and say “Mommy’s here” and she goes right back to sleep. This morning she woke up and said “Mommy tanga” (Mommy take me). I stayed in bed and said “just a minute” and she slept for another hour – can’t beat that!
We read to the girls at night after they get in bed. First, a story in Spanish and then some in English. We read from the Book of Mormon a few nights in a row. We didn’t get very far, maybe 100 verses all together. The next night, when we picked it up, Vanesa said “And it came to pass…” Cracks me up, I didn’t realize it was in there so often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul and Chris,
You are such an awesome Mommy and Papi. I loved reading your blog tonight. You are just as blessed to have those little girls as they are to have you. It just testifys to me how good God is.
Blessings to you!!
Love, Mom

David and Sheila Derr said...

Hello Paul and Chris!!!!

Ok, can I say that I am a bit jealous in reading your posts and taking in your pics! I so miss Pereira!

What a blessing to hear how things are going! It is so fun to hear how you and the girls are doing as well! It sounds like bonding is going well...with small moments of normal kid stuff!

We continue to pray for you and look forward to hear more of how you are doing as the days pass!

Sheila

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your trip is going well. I can't wait to start on your scrapbook so hurry up and come home so I can :) Okay, don't rush...enjoy all the time you have there because once you come home you'll want to go back. I'm already trying to figure out how and when we can go back to Guatemala. Missed not having a post from you guys last night!

Hope everything's going well. We're praying for you 5!
Megan

dbomoni said...

Awww, hope the Jeni name is because she can't wait to meet the live Jeni...hee hee! We are dying to meet all three beauties!