Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Integration Meeting Complete!

Good evening everyone. We had our integration meeting today. It went really well. Our translator, Mauricio, picked us up about 8:45am to head to the ICBF office. When we got to the building, Vanesa instantly recognized where we were and started saying I’ve been here before, this is where we met Mami and Papi. I could tell by her face that she was a little nervous, but we kept telling her that we were just going to sign papers and then leave. When we entered the building, they took us to the same room that we met the girls in. The room is full of toys so Manu and Angee went over and started playing. Vanesa came over and sat on my lap (This is Paul writing by the way). To help ease her a little I started to hum a song that they taught us. It is a fun song called Conga Conga………but man did I pick the wrong song to start humming. She immediately picked up on what I was humming and started singing it. In this song you call out someone’s name and they have to get up and start dancing. Well you can guess who’s name she called. So Papi, being the good sport, got up and boogied on down (Disclaimer: Papi ONLY dances for his little girls so don’t ask because it ain’t happening). Let’s just say everyone at the ICBF office had a pretty good chuckle (me included). During this song you have to swing your hips pat your head and turn around. I think you got the picture (lucky for me no cameras or videos were on).
So after I did my little jig the social worker came in and the meeting started. She asked us how the week went and if we had any questions. After a few minutes of conversation, she asked if we wanted to continue the process. We said yes, yes, yes definitely yes! She said okay and our Lawyer signed a few documents and we were out the door. The whole meeting only took about 30 minutes at most. Now the process is in the lawyer’s hands. Since we are through with the integration, now we go through the legal process to adopt them. The lawyer said it will take about 2 weeks, but he said he will try to get it done faster. Yipee, another step down.
After the meeting, we went to a few malls. There are 3 of them within walking distance of each other. We needed to buy the girls some shoes. When we finally found a childrens shoe store, we let Vanesa pick out whatever shoes she wanted. Her eyes just lit up and she said REALLY!! We were glad she was so happy. After we bought the shoe we told them they could put them on if they wanted to. Vanesa opted not to because she didn’t want to get them dirty.
The rest of the day went pretty good. More swimming, coloring and playing with toys. There were a few more tantrums, but I think we are in the testing phase with the girls. At dinner tonight the girls refused to eat. It always starts with one and works it way around the table. Manu started it tonight. We hear the words “no quiero mas” which means I don’t want anymore. They didn’t even bother to try it. So we told them if they didn’t at least try it that they would not get any bread or dessert. They still refused so dinner was quick tonight. They should be hungry for breakfast! Hopefully this little game won’t last very long. They just started doing it last night. The ladies at the hotel make AWSOME food so I feel bad when we leave a table full of uneaten plates. I’m sure they understand though. Manu can be very, very stubborn. For instance, tonight after dinner she came into the room and started jumping on the bed. I said no more Manu, but she laughed and immediately started doing it again. So I went over and picked her up and looked her in the eyes and said sternly no more. When I set her down, as soon as I turned my back she tried it again. So this time she had to sit on Papi’s lap for a while. I picked her up and said no more. Of course the tears started flowing, but I sat and held her until she stopped crying. Once she has settled down, I ask are you finished? Once I finally get a nod of the head, I set her down and kiss her on the head and tell her I love her. 30 seconds later we are back to playing. This tactic has worked well so far.
Tomorrow should be a very fun day! Jose is taking us to the Coffee park. It is an active coffee plantation with an amusement park. It should be loads of fun!
Good night!

6 comments:

Jeff S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff S. said...

Wonderful to hear the integration meeting went smooth. Hopefully the rest goes as well.
Hope you have fun at the park. There should be no reason anyone falls asleep at a coffee amusement park!
Best wishes from KC
Jeff

Christy said...

That is so funny about the dancing! What a great way for them to see dad in action though. :) We laughed when you (Chris) said you had to go because he was drinking all the Coke -- that sounds exactly like something I would have said. Thanks for continuing with updates, it is so fun to keep up.

Anonymous said...

We are very happy that your meeting went well, nice and short! And we pray that the next step goes quick too. Oh to be a fly on the wall to see Paul showing off his dance moves! Chris you need to get that on video. Enjoy your day today, maybe the girls will eat dinner tonight, I am sure they were very hungry this morning!
Kyle & Rhonda

D and Moni said...

that is exactly how we disciplined and it works really well...our kids did the same sort of things...just watching to see how we would handle it. Now just two months later, we don't have problems with it...we say no and they obey (most of the time). I am proud of you! You are doing a wonderful job parenting Mami and Papi! Not that I am an expert at all...just getting by like the rest of us!

Nate and Rena Duewel said...

Blessings to you all! I remember the bed jumping, no eating days...they soon will pass. Keep up the great work! You can hear the joy with every post...regardless of the writer.